Thursday – Mount Dandenong drive

When Jesika left for work at 6am it was still raining quite heavily but at 7am when Mahalia called me from home it had eased up to almost nothing.
We were all still asleep when she very cheerfully phoned .
I asked her who had put the call through for her – she said she had done it herself cuz she knew the number – oh dear!!
She doesn’t understand the time differences so I was imagining calls coming through at 4am
I told her to call back in an hour – she did. And this time when I answered the phone she was crying her wee heart out telling me how much she was missing me – I went and got Shanni to come and talk to her.
Shanni got on the phone and I heard her saying very matter of factly ‘What’s wrong with you???’

We got ourselves moving and out the door at 9am.
I managed to drive us down to Box Hill and found the Stolks without too much difficulty.
We dropped Shanni there and went on to find the hospital.
Mum had a lump taken out of her arm 2 weeks ago and the stitches were not ready to come out before we left so we had to get them checked. Found the hospital, eventually found ourselves at Emergency. Filled out all the forms and answered ALL the pertinent questions. Then Mum was sent on to the next counter and I asked about the park I had left the car in. I didn’t understand the Australian parking signs and wanted it clarified.
I apparently was in a 1/4hour parking area and the nurse proceeded to tell me where all the 2hour plus parks could be found. To which I asked just how long was Mum expected to wait? She said a minimum of 2 hours. Well, I nearly had a melt down on the spot. Called Mum back and said we are not waiting here and wasting our day. The nurse told me of a medical centre that could help us so we left.

I couldn’t make head nor tail of the directions so drove back to have a cuppa with Marion and see how Shanni was getting on. She was having a ball.
Here she is with all the children, and when Marion began to cut up a loaf for morning tea she was right in there with the kids – no flies on my girl

The have a cockatiel called Kuku who is very friendly – she just flies free around the house and is not at all worried by the children’s bedlam or strangers.
She sat on Marion’s shoulder and snuggled her.

PICT5906_2 PICT5907_2
She then flew over to Granny and proceeded to nibble her ear and kiss her on the cheek.
Mum was quite ok about that – it was the 40kg of Golden Labrador that she was more worried about. So was I actually – they could’ve sent Mum flying but thankfully there were kiddy gates all through the house and the two dogs were shut behind one and sat looking at us mournfully while we chatted.

Jesika called to say she had finished work so we headed back to get her.
Shanni decided she would prefer to stay with the children so we left her there for the day.

After a snack Jesika drove us to the medical centre.
We didn’t have an appointment and were prepared to wait for the 30mins they thought it would take. However we were in with a Dr within 15mins. He was a lovely guy – Vietnamese I think.
He had to take ALL of Mums medical details down again.
Then when he went to remove the stitches he found that they really were still not ready to come out.
He took out 15 and re-dressed her arm and told her to come back on Monday and hopefully the rest will be ready to remove then.

After all of this we took off to Mount Dandenong.
It was a beautiful drive. The gum trees were stunning and we were amazed to find NZ natives growing there amongst them – pongas and other ferns
PICT5908 PICT5909 PICT5912 PICT5914

We stopped at a wee place called Sassafras and had a wander. It was very chilly.
I am very glad I brought my down jacket with me.
We had been recommended the Miss Marple’s Tea Room so we went there and had Devonshire Tea.
It was a gorgeous place, the decor and food all revolved around the Miss Marples of Agatha Christie fame. It was packed when we arrived and I asked if it was always this busy and the waitress told us that it wasn’t a busy day – that often folk are queuing for an hour or 2 to get in. The food was amazing.

We also found a cute store called Geppetto’s Workshop It was a fabulous place for big and small children alike

We drove on up to Olinda and just caught the famous Pie in the Sky shop before it closed and had the rest of our lunch.
Jesika and I ate our pies under the huge gum tree out the back. Despite the sun it was a cold atmosphere.

We soon hopped back into the car and took off up to the top of the mountain.
SkyHigh Mount Dandenong is a wonderful place. It is just over 600m above sea level – high for this area but actually not that much higher than the highest point on our farm!!

The views over Melbourne were stunning despite the misty clouds and afternoon sun.

What do you think of my new car??

The gardens were beautiful. A lot of care and attention and the art works scattered about made it an idyllic and intriguing place to wander.
PICT5929 PICT5934 PICT5936 PICT5937 PICT5938 PICT5949

The Wishing tree

PICT5940 PICT5942 PICT5943 PICT5946

This globe fountain was really cool – it spins on it’s axis in the water

At the entrance is this amazing totem sculpture
PICT5952 PICT5960

PICT5953 PICT5954

We finally headed back down the mountain taking a different route. Jesika and I both deciding that we have to come back up and stay in one of the secluded wee cottages up the top. It would be so cool especially during the snow.

We called in to a humungous dvd store and then went back to collect Shanni. She was sitting with the children eating dinner – she really slotted right in there – the only difference was the blonde head amongst the dark ones.

Jesika dropped me off at the mall so I could go get the security button removed from my new shorts. Apparently the one that was left on my shorts doesn’t make a buzzer sound if you leave the store with it – it is the sort that sprays ink all over the clothes if you try and remove it yourself so I am glad I didn’t try. Next time though I will double check my purchases so I don’t have to go back to the shop.

I got a frappacino and wandered back to the house in the darkness. It was actually really nice just to have half an hour to myself. Shanni was tucked up in bed when I returned so Jesika and I made plans for tomorrow and as she has Monday off work we can plan to go further afield.

Great! It will be good to get right out of the city again. I really enjoyed this afternoon. I was finding things a bit stressful this morning. Doing battle with traffic, streets I didn’t know and couldn’t find and a stupid medical system that could’ve been so much more simple!

4 thoughts on “Thursday – Mount Dandenong drive

  1. Ooh, how neat that the tea room is called Miss Marple’s.  (Even before I read about the interior theme, I thought it was a nice name.  )
    Those floating sphere things are cool.  I think the first we ever saw was at the Pacific Science Center in Seattle — a good four feet or so in diameter, and my little girls were able to spin it easily.  Way cool.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s